ThinLine Flexible Slow Feed Grazing Muzzle
This Flexibly Filly grazing horse muzzle is unlike the typical heavy, hard, and “cage-like” apparatus of the past. We listened to horse owners just like you and designed this to be softer, lighter and less confining. Constructed of a durable and pliable material that radically improves comfort, it is also soft on equine teeth and lips. The Flexible Filly Muzzle is well-ventilated and safe, rated to break just before your turnout halter.
Fitting instruction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5peXIOp8J4E&feature=youtu.be
Key Fitting Instructions:
- Only use the provided ties. These are specifically designed to break before your headcollar does. (Replacements are available to purchase)
- Ensure the ties securing the finns on the side of the muzzle are two notches tighter / higher than the top or bottom as otherwise your horse will learn to eat from the sides!
- When fitted correctly, all ties should be tight, not left in a loop.
- Ideal distance from the horse & muzzle is 1/2cm.
What to know about Equine grazing muzzle centre hole sizes.
- Veterinary Recommendations for grazing muzzles hole sizes are as follows.
- 24/7 Full-time grazing in a muzzle; 3.5 to 4 cm.
- Restricted grazing: for horses who require substantially less sugar intake; 2 to 2.5 cm.
The most common grazing hole size on the market is about 3cm and is not adjustable.
Order by halter size. Available in 2 grazing hole sizes. Holes may be enlarged with a leather punch or even a pair of scissors.
Mini-Pony. Larger Miniature horses and up to large pony. Grazing Centre holes. Full= 3cm, 1.2 inches or Restricted – 2.5cm.
Cob-Horse. Cob, Arabian, Quarter Horse or Horses on the smaller side. Grazing Centre holes. Full = 3.3 cm, 1.32 inches or Restricted – 2.5cm.
Oversize-Draft. Larger horses, Draft, Warmblood and Oversize. Grazing Centre holes. Full = 3.6cm, 1.44 inches or Restricted – 2.5cm.
Machine washable. Directions:Place the muzzle in a net washing bag and wash on cold water cycle with detergent and a teaspoon of bleach.
Option to purchase additional cable ties: https://www.kmeliteproducts.co.uk/thin-line-cable-ties-pack-of-16/view/964
What will you need?
We recommend you commit a dedicated well-fitting breakaway turnout halter to your muzzle. It generally takes about 10 minutes to get everything perfect the first time you install a Flexible Filly Muzzle. Subsequent halters will take about 3 minutes.
How to attach your Flexible Filly Grazing Muzzle?
- Use the enclosed paper ties or a string to discover the best holes to secure your muzzle to your halter. The paper ties are a temporary tool allowing you to easily adjust the fit.
- Two of the “fins” have a triangle cut out. These attach to the square (side) rings on your turnout halter. Three fins will connect to the noseband, one in the centre, the other two fall naturally to the sides of the centre. Three fins will connect to the chin band; one in the centre, two naturally to the sides of the centre.
- First, secure each triangle cut out fin with one of the enclosed low profile cable ties. Do not wrap the fins around the halter, doing so may cause rubs.
- When properly installed, the muzzle should be close to but not touching the nose of the horse. If the muzzle is touching the nose simply make the fins under the chin longer, this will lift the muzzle away from the nose.
- Once you are satisfied you have the correct holes aligned to the halter please remove the paper ties or string and permanently secure the muzzle with the included cable ties.
- After finding the best fit for your horse, simply trim the excess fin material just above the top hole being used. It is fine to wait a day or two to ensure your muzzle is a comfortable distance from your horse’s mouth before trimming. The “keeper” on the cable tie is on the outside of the muzzle and the excess is facing down and trimmed close.
If you have fitted the muzzle properly and the muzzle is the correct size it will work famously. If you find there is too much grazing room be sure your fins are snugly secured to your halter. The fins should not move along the noseband. If it does simply pull the cable tie tighter.
The grazing muzzle is made from one of the most durable polymers on the planet. It is fungal, mould and UV resistant. It is safe, effective and durable. There are no “off-gassing” materials so they are safe near the nostrils. Even if accidentally ingested the polymers pass USA food safety regulations. The muzzle is ideal for slowing down speedy eaters, limiting grazing, and can help curb minor cribbing problems. The muzzle can also keep horses from chewing on leg wraps, wood, or blankets. It works extremely well with all automatic waterers and has UV protection which works much like sunscreen for those delicate noses.
Returns and Warranty Information?
Flexible Filly Grazing Muzzles come with a full 6-month product replacement warranty. Please follow these directions to qualify for a 30-day product satisfaction refund.
Before you return, please email 2 photos of your horse wearing the muzzle. One grazing and one not grazing. Please send to [email protected] This way we can make sure it is fitting properly and offer guidance if needed.
**It is our experience this muzzle works on every horse when owners have the correct size and it is fitted properly and secured. We are here to help you become accustomed to this new patented design**