Dogs are known as man’s best friend and are often found around yards and horses, here’s five things you didn’t know about them…
- Dogs can seen in the dark. Their eyes are better at adapting to low-light conditions, they retinas are more light sensitive and they can increase the size of their pupil to allow more light in.
- Dogs can sense how you are feeling by the smell of your perspiration – when you are nervous you smell different to when you are excited!
- Each dog bark is unique so they are able to distinguish themselves from each other. One breed (Basenji) doesn’t even bark – it sounds like it’s yodelling! (Google it!)
- Dog are seen as man’s best friend, they can be trained to help humans in many ways; seeing-eye dogs, to detect seizures, to support people with autism or anxiety and are used to help soldiers as well!
- Even the Beatles were dog lovers… rumour has it that Paul McCartney recorded a dog whistle tune at the end of the song ‘A Day in the Life’ just for his sheepdog!